Conservation Area Appraisal and Management Plan for East Leake. Published July 2008.
This Conservation Area was first designated in November 1973 and, following re-appraisal, the boundaries were revised in August 2006.
Settlement here can be traced back to before the Roman Conquest. More recently, the hosiery trade replaced traditional lacemaking (at one time there were 60 hand frames in operation) and basket weaving. The Gypsum mine, which opened in 1903, still draws a substantial amount of its labour force from the 5,800 population of the village.
The Conservation Area contains 13 Listed Buildings or structures. Much of the original 12th century church can still be seen, especially the tower and some herringbone masonry on the north nave wall.